Being job ready
NZDF youth programmes prepare you for the next step in life. Through your experience you will have developed your confidence, communication, and leadership skills, which are all highly desirable in the workplace. It is important that you take this confidence with you into your job applications.
Tips on interviewing
- Be positive and professional:
- If you have a positive attitude towards your training in a NZDF youth proramme then this will impress upon your potential employer. Portray your own personal experiences as examples of how they have benefitted you.
- Explain the benefits you bring:
- Employers want to hear about how the skills you have obtained through the courses will help them and bring value to their organisation. Discuss how the training you have recieved will pass on value to your potential employer.
- Find out the benefits.
- Be open and up-front:
- Tell your story to your potential employer and how the NZDF youth programme has benefited you. Bring the values of the NZDF with you to the workplace. Reassure them that support such as, the Defence Employer Support Council, exists to provide assistance.
Work and Income has a range of resources available to you when preparing to find work. CV guidelines, cover letter guides, templates, and training opportunities.
Careers NZ has a range of jobs and tools to get you ready for employment. It is also an execellent place to find treal world advice on being job ready.