Minister of Defence
As Minister of Defence, Hon. Gerry Brownlee is responsible for the Defence Employer Support Council (DESC). He has been a Member of Parliament for the Christchurch constituency of Ilam since 1996, and is currently ranked number four in Cabinet.
DESC consists of 22 senior representatives from the public, private and non-profit sectors.
Members of the Council have:
- noteworthy expertise within the corporate and political sector
- extensive knowledge and influence within New Zealand’s labour force
- extensive networks and professional relationships
- experience in areas of strategic governance
- ability to create equal opportunities for women in the public and private sectors, and
- knowledge of tikanga Māori and the Significance of Te Tiriti o Waitangi.
The Secretariat manages the process of appointments to the Council on behalf of the Minister of Defence, and is seeking expressions of interest from people wishing to serve on the Council.
The Government has an expectation that statutory bodies are representative of the diversity and demographic make-up of New Zealand, including gender, ethnicity, age, and geographical location.
The DESC Secretariat is a business unit of the New Zealand Defence Force. Civilian vacancies will be advertised on www.defencecareers.mil.nz (external link) , and military secondments will from time to time be advertised on The Hub (external link) or through career management teams.